About The Cottage
A timber framed Elizabethan harbour-front cottage in the heart of the medieval old town. One of the three oldest buildings in Scarborough, built around 1465-70, and Grade II* listed. Three bedrooms with attic, kitchen and lounge. Restored and trading as a holiday let from 2019.
2, Quay Street, Old Town, Scarborough
A Grade II Listed Building in Scarborough, North Yorkshire
2 storeys and attic timber framed with roughcast infilling. Gable end
facing street with oversailing attic on curved brackets and large corner post with
outcurving head probably supporting dragon beam, curved brackets and shaped beam
ends to eaves on side elevation as well. Pantile roof. South entrance front has
1 attic casement and 2 on 1st floor modern wool replacing C18 sashes. Restored
early C19 bout window with frieze and cornice on ground floor 7 x 5 panes. 6 panel
house door. Renewed casements to side- elevation, Interior has hammer head wall
posts; in roof: ridge piece, principal but tie beam removed in centre. Though
roughcast the structure would seem to be on a stone base.
Quay Street In The Old Town & Other Prominent Historic Buildings In The Old Town
The old town contains only one main street, called for different lengths along its course, Eastborough, Westborough and Newborough, and from it a series of roads branch off to the north and south.
Many ancient houses of various dates remain in the old town, particularly at Sandside. The finest example is perhaps a timberframed structure of the 15th century at the back of the Newcastle Packet Inn. It is now divided into two houses (of which the eastern is No. 2 East Sandgate) and is three stories high. The southwestern angle-post is carved with grotesque figures and a half-obliterated scroll inscription. The other angle-post rests on a carved grotesque, and the framing above is concealed under lath and plaster.
In Quay Street are several old houses, of which the Three Mariners Inn has a picturesque brick front of the 17th century with a brick cornice and a series of pediments of the same material over the ground floor windows, each pediment having a rose in the tympanum. (fn. 35) Not far off is an early 16th-century timber-framed house, recently restored. It has a good moulded fascia at the first-floor level, but the herring-bone brick filling is modern. At the corner of Parkins Lane is another example with overhanging stories, and a third at the west end of Quay Street, at its junction with Whitehead Hill, probably dates from late in the 15th century. This is a three-storied gabled building with an 18th-century shopfront to the ground floor and the timbers of the second floor brought out to support the gable. The windows are all later, and the half-timbering is concealed with lath and plaster.
On Sandside fronting the harbour is a tall gabled building of 16th or early 17th-century date, built of stone, with modern windows to the front, but in the return wall is a three-light transomed window of Elizabethan character. According to tradition King Richard III stayed here in 1484. On the west side of Dumple Street is a late 16th-century red brick house now divided into tenements numbered 33, 34 and 36. It is two stories high, with stone dripstones or labels over the windows.